Everyone needs a bucket list, and a writer is no exception. I decided to compile a list of what is on my bucket list when it comes to writing. It is a list of goals I want to achieve in my life as a writer. I don’t know how many of these things I’ll be able to hit in the end, but I’d like to think at least a few of them are achievable. Some of them may seem like pipe dreams, but isn’t that what a bucket list is for after all?
- Get published. I mean REALLY published, not just self published as I have up until now. I would be ecstatic if I could achieve this goal.
- Finish my novel and write a few more. This is a definite long term goal. I want to get my novel finished, and I want to write more of course. I can’t imagine the satisfaction of bringing your story to life for someone else to read! It must be magical!
- Work remotely. I don’t know how I’ll fit this in to my life, but someday I’d really like the option of working from home (or from the coffee shop down the street). I’d like to think this would really make me happy.
- Work as a technical writer. I’d love to get the experience of working as a technical writer. I have an analytical mind and think I would be rather good at it. It wouldn’t stop me from pursuing other creative avenues of writing, but it would help me gain a job in a growing field.
- Publish a Children’s Book. I know I’ve already self-published children’s books, but wouldn’t it be great if one of my stories got picked up by a publishing company? I think so!
- Improve my editing skills. I think this is one bucket list item that is very doable! I would very much like to improve my editing skills and I think over time that is exactly what will happen.
- See one of my stories for sale in a book store. This kind of goes along with #1 getting published, however just seeing my book in a store would be a huge milestone for me.
- Improve my creative writing skills. Again, I think this is another doable bucket list item. I’d like to see improvements in my skills and I can think of many ways I can work at doing this.
- Graduate with a writing degree. Okay, so this is a big goal right now. I want this darn degree so I can start working in my field of choice in the future. I’d also like to get going on those classes so I can get some writing practice in!
- Inspire someone with my writing. Wouldn’t that be magical? And so rewarding? I’d love to find out that somewhere along the line I’ve inspired someone else.
I can probably think of a hundred more things to put on my bucket list, but lets just start with these. Some of these are definitely something I can check off someday and I like to think the others are still in my future!
What is a goal that you want to achieve, long term or short term, in your writing endeavors?